23 June 2013

6/10/13

Dear Family,
This week one experience really changed my perspective. We were talking with a man who converted when he was a teenager, served a mission, and only for these past few years he has been less active (he goes to church every few months because, he says knows how important the sacrament is). He has a son, John who is 7 years old and will be 8 in July. John goes to church frequently with his cousins and really likes the primary. John´s dad said that he will definitely be baptized, but he probably will be baptized when he is 9 or 10 years old when he has more knowledge about the sacredness of baptism. We obviously talked a lot about baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, 8 years old is the age of accountability according to revelation given to prophets. This man already knew all of these things, and being a man with little humility, this conversation was literally going no where. I felt the strong impression to bear my testimony about my baptism since no one else present was baptized at 8 years old. I said, `I was baptized when I had 8 years, my parents talked to me about the importance of baptism but said it was my decision. I was excited to be baptized but also nervous. I did not know what would come of it, any big or small changes would happen. But, I decided to be baptized. I remember stepping down into the font with100% nerves, fear. I got baptized and I literally felt like there were angels present. I couldnt see them, but I felt the Holy Ghost so strong in that moment and that Heavenly Father was really happy with me! Even today, I remember every moment and every feeling I felt when I was 8 years old and decided to complete this covenant with Heavenly Father.
 
After I stated my testimony, there was a pause. The first words that this man said, in complete humility were, ´i will talk with my son´ A few days later we talked with the mom and she said they were preparing his baptism. I am so grateful that I could help this family and I have high hopes that this baptism will reactive this family that is so desperately needed in this branch here. As an American here in Brazil everyone and their mom already know that I grew up in the church, they think I don´t have a testimony and I was forced to be baptized. Constantly being told this, I guess I gained a little bit of shyness telling people that my family are members of the church. But in this moment of talking with this man, I have never felt so proud to have been baptized the very first moment I could be baptized, 8 years old and for having such a strong family in this gospel who taught me these truths at a young age.
I love this true gospel and I LIVE IT!
 

 
1. My companion and I were in a different Zone (Itabuna) monday night to do a division with the new Sister Training Leader for a day. (LOVE LOVE LOVE this new calling in the mission! Definitely will help a ton!) We went to FHE with the missionaries in São Caetano an area where my companion and I both served. I started teaching this family and baptized one boy, my companion Sister Maciel baptized the mom, and the Elders baptized a girl in the family. It was a super fun FAMILY reunion!
2. Divisions!! 2 Sister Training Leaders, me and my companion, and the 2 other sisters in Itabuna. It was party

No comments:

Post a Comment