04 June 2012

June 4, 2012

Family,
What a change this week has been! Last week I can utterly say was the worst week Ive ever had. Ive gained a testimony that there needs to opposition in all things. Thus, this week was amazing. It had its struggles, but Ive never been happier with the work me and my companion are doing here.

On tuesday we we walking to an appointment and we saw a family outside their house (well, literally everyone is outside, its like brooklyn), we talked to them about the church. The mom said we should go visit her daughter inside. We went inside and met her daughter, an 8 year old girl who was severly crippled. I sang ì am a child of god´ in english and sister ferreira sang in portuguese. This girl was smiling the entire time. It really hit me then and there the importance of loving those you serve. I have ALWAYS known the concept, but it really hit me like a brick. I just wanted to help this family so bad!

We´ve also been teaching a 14 year old girl and her family, she is really interested and everyone is just there for the spiritual enlightenment. Long story short, she flaked out on her baptism interview. She had no excues and acted like it was no big deal. We talked about the influences in our lives, that the good things are of God and the bad things are not. The next day we visited her she said she prayed all night, repented of her sins, cried, andis now ready. She had the biggest smile on her face and it made me so happy to see how happy she is now! This next week, I should have my first baptism! Woot woot!

Sister Ferreira and I have been visiting this neighborhood named Cairo, its about a 30 minutes bus ride from our apartment. It is straight up poor of the poor. Think of Nacho Libre and thats this hood. I thought the area where we´ve primarily been teaching was poor. Guess not!

Dad, you would love Sister Ferreira. she invites people to be baptized with a baptismal date within 5 minutes of talking to someone. A lot of people say yes to it. (I have yet to do this because of lack of language, but I know I will be in the near future). It is frankly surprising that something as important as baptism is being suggested in the intial 5 minutes of meeting someone. People here are literally waiting to receive the restored gospel. I am grateful everyday that I am serving in this area and that the only struggle I have is the language. The language is coming along and I can understand about 70 percent of what people say. I dont think my ability to make sentences in portuguese is improving as fast but I know the accent is getting better.

This last week Ive been thinking a lot about what I have to offer besides bearing my testimony and sharing bits and pieces of the lessons. On wednesday night, there was an activity at the church and while Sister Ferreira was in the bathroom I was waiting in the hallway talking to all the youth. They loved me! And it was such a relief to talk to teenagers and laugh about life! After Sister Ferreira returned she said she doesnt even know any of the youth cause she gets along better with little kids and adults (shes 32 and was an elementary school teacher, so its understandable). Anyways, Ive found my place! or at least where to start! I even invited one of them to come out with us teaching. He went out with us on sunday and it was amazing, the lessons were perfect, and i was so glad he was there! He is 17, and I was talking to him about college and girls. I told him Sister Ferreira and I will baptize his future wife since there are barely any young women in the ward. (Dad, I thought of you when I said that).
The goods;
  • -ive seen 2 brazilian midgets. score!
  • -i already have a sweeeet chacos tanline
  • -vanessa chivers, etheringtons, butters- i should have memorized my scripture mastery, because sometimes i have no idea what scripture my companion is sharing. i mean, i usually know for the most part the idea. but i should have memorized them! oops, my bad. so kiddies, memorize them so your foreign language missions wont be crazy.
  • -everyone here has dogs. all the dogs look like they have rabies. they are all ratty and nasty. im never getting a dog. ever.
  • -because im blonde people actually stare at me on the streets. its strange because in america im pretty sure EVERY NONMEMBER avoids eye contact with the missionaries. its strange. but definitely a blessing that i have blonde hair. very easy to talk to people. thanks mom and dad for your genes.
  • -i saw the jehovahs witnesses knocking doors. they looked like pioneers. im glad i dont have to dress like that. maybe it was just them. but they knocked on the door, opened the scripture and started reading. i guess thats a door approach. 

address for the next 10 weeks; i think it takes about 2 weeks to get to me. so only 8 weeks i guess. please write cause i only get letters once a month from the mission home. 
sister abigail clark
rua juquinta franca, 559
guarani, vitoria da conquista, bahia
cep 45.002-020 BRASIL
love you lots. thanks for the prayers and love.
-sister clark

cherish this picture: i barely have any makeup on. we have no water in our apartment today :)
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment