25 June 2012

June 25, 2012


Dear Family/Friends-


Sorry for no letter last week. Ive been having the same heart problems as when I was in high school. But Im on beta blockers now, the first day I took beta blockers, I took 50mg and I felt like I was HIGH all day. The Word of Wisdom is true. I couldn´t feel the Spirit all day, and I didnt have a care in the world. Jeez, that was a crazy day, but now I am fine and dandy! And I am being transferred tomorrow! (So sorry if you sent letters to my actual address, they will take a while to get to me) I am being transferred to Lauro de Freitas, Salvador. From what I´ve heard from the other missionaries it is about 30 minutes away from the Mission Office/Home. Which I am SUPER excited about cause that means I will be about to get letters super fast! Yeeee!!

A lot of things have happened as of late- so sorry for the jumble of stories/thoughts, but they all good, I swear. Theyre all just short stories for you.

Sister Ferreira and I have been teaching a family who´s son is an alcoholic. We taught the son a lesson while he was sitting in the bar and we were standing in the streeet. Pretty awkward, but we shared a scripture and I gave him a picture of Christ to look at whenever he is tempted. The next day he was in the hospital cause of alcohol poisoning. Wow. Some help we were, oh well!

Sister Ferreira and I taught a less active woman and we were asking her why she left the church. She said the members did not accept her husband. Yeah, I can understand why: the woman is 70 and her husband is 30. The woman is very overweight, is missing toes and teeth and the husband is very attractive. I was really confused... She said she didn´t wamt us to come back.

Yesterday we were walking to an investigator´s house when we walked past a man standing outside his market. We did our normal schpeel about being missionaries and why we are here. When we said this he had a huge smile on his face and immediately wanted to shake our hands. He said he could feel the light of Christ in us and that it was a privilege to shake our hands. Pretty cool to have someone WANT to shake our hands with a strong grip instead of us putting out our hands and receiving a dead fish handshake (which is normal). That little sign just made me so excited for this man´s journey in finding the truthfulness of this gospel!

We taught a man/woman who had taken one too many steroids. His/her muscles were all messed up. I was really confused (per usual). I really didnt want to go back. It grossed me out. And it didn´t seem like she/he was too interested in the gospel.

Last week I fasted (obviously to help my portuguese, so I can better help these people) and there was such a significant difference in my proficiency to understand and speak portuguese. Fasting really works. Try it. But for reals, it was pretty cool to read my journal entry the day before I fasted and realize how much fasting helps me concentrate.

There is a HUGE catholic church in our area. We walked past it last week and they were having a huge celebration with floats (resembling the arc of covenant) and a lot of people walking behind it playing brass instruments. I secretly wished I could join in in their festivities. But there´s work to be done, and missionaries cant proselyte near other churches! Sad day!

On sunday the Bishop said my name over the pulpit, obviously being the awful missionary that I am, I looked at Sister Ferreira and said, what? what did he say about me? She said, oh, you are giving a talk cause the speaker didnt show up today. (There were 40 people in sacrament meeting (normally 120) due to the holiday this weekend festas do joao (sp?)) So, I went up and gave a talk on family and charity. I think I knocked it out of the ballpark. I brought the water works and spoke through the power of the Holy Ghost. THANK GOODNESS for the Holy Gost. The enabling power is amazing and powerful.



Even shorter things that are happening in the life of sister clark:

-didnt have water for 3 days in my apartment. may or may not have stolen water from the church which somehow DID have water even though its in our neighborhood. (water is usually delivered to neighborhoods)

-one man, robelio, asked if sister ferreira could teach his parent and i teach him. ummmmm no. we quickly left. the strange part was was that his parents wanted that to happen to. we literally left as soon as he asked that question.

-there are fireworks every day. one night our apartment was filled completely with smoke from all the fireworks on our street. and one night sister ferreira and i were walking up our street and it felt like we were walking through a field of land mines, pretty scary... but more fun! (at least i thought it was hilarious!)

-ive become addicted to cervada, its some sort of coffee substitute all the members drink here. i think its similar to perro (becky has it in her house)

-this morning for p day we went to a ward and played games with the other elders in our zone, just waiting for the tranfers. i asked sister ferreira the night before if wed be playing soccer. she said probably not since no one has water in their apartments, thus they cant shower. wow.



This church is true, I am so grateful to be here helping these people,sharing this message about the Restoration and TCIT.

Love

Sister Clark


me and sister ferreira

 decorations everywhere! and the streets are a mess from fireworks, decorations, and everyone had bonfires on the streets. it looked like anarchy... 

 our apartments storage for water for the next few days. these brazilians are ready for ANYTHING!!

cant see it too well, but i thought id send it anyways. a picture of the smoke on our street from the fireworks

No comments:

Post a Comment